Sob Rock By John Mayer Album Review

 


I never thought I would be writing John Mayer’s new album review in 2021. John Mayer is a true legend and he is seven times Grammy award winning recording artist. But there’s one thing that I need to admit before I start writing. Well, okay, I pretended that I didn’t like John Mayer because of his reputation (media mentioned him as heart breaker and he broke famous Hollywood leading women’s heart), and because the guy I used to date shared one of his songs to me while we were dating. He shared Love On the Weekend and I loved that song once I listened to it. When we broke up, I tried not to listen to that song intentionally because I hate to think about someone who is not with me anymore. But it was so hard not to listen to that song cos it is too good.

Well, that is my personal story and I lived in denial for at least more than 3 years to admit that I like John Mayer. Well for now, I like him a lot and I have been listening to his new album and his songs since last week. He is undeniable the most talented song writer, guitarist and the musician. He can play everything. You name it and he’ll play it. Though it was a bit hard to listen to “Heartbreak Warfare” cos every time I listened to that song, I miss my ex who introduced John Mayer’s music to me. Though we dated very briefly, he made big impressions on me regarding to music cos we were really into music and we were sort of listening to the same music type. It was easy to date with someone who had the same taste with you. But due to unfortunate event, we stopped talking to each other. He passed away in 2018 in fatal car accident and this album review meant for him.

Well this review will combine with personal feeling because I can relate to this album with my life. I always like to listen to the songs that can speak to my mind which I can really relate to with my life. I am so much a lyric person and maybe this is why I fall for John Mayer’s songs as his writing style is so poetic. He’s seriously one of the most poetically intricate songwriters in generations.

His new album sob rock is inspired by 80s style music. Well, if you are fan of classical rock music, this one will be your favorite. The album includes 10 songs.

1. Last Train Home

My second most favorite track in this album. I am totally amazed by his lyrics again. He is truly a lyric master and who can write the song with beautiful vocabulary. Then again John is a very good story teller. For anyone who knows Taylor Swift is a good story teller, well John is original version.

This song is about making the final call to his love interest to make the decision to be with him or without him. Time is running out and no one is waiting for someone forever. Why would they have to? He is telling the girl that his love meant forever and she had to be with him till the end if she decided to be with him. What a commitment he is asking for! Well, man. I fell for that. This music video won MTV best rock music video award recently and congratulates to Mayer for winning. My favorite pick is as below.

“I’m not a fallen angel, I just fell behind
I’m out of luck and I’m out of time
If you don’t wanna love me, let me go
I’m runnin’ for the last train
I’m runnin’ for the last train home”

2. Shouldn’t matter but it does

I doubt that he wrote this song inspired by Jennifer Anniston or Katy Perry. This song is about how the break up broke his heart and he did everything he shouldn’t have done. He sent secret message in every song he wrote to let her know he was waiting for her. What a romantic guy!

Well, yeah, I know how does it feel especially when we say goodbye to our loved ones and pretend like nothing happens. But it breaks our hearts into pieces and we always try to avoid the emotional break down. Well this song just a bit reminds me of recent break up. I knew that break up would come along sooner or later since I dated with someone I should have never dated at the first place. But I expected different outcome by doing the same thing. It was funny cos I locked myself in my room and cried for a week to get it over and told myself that it was just nothing. So, at least I can totally relate to it.

“Should’ve been open
Should’ve done more
Should’ve learned a lesson from the year before
Should’ve been honest
Should’ve just cried
Should’ve told me there was nothing left inside”

3. New Light

Oh boy! My most favorite song of his so far and my most favorite one in this whole album. Damn, it was released three years ago. But it was added in this album and so I got to write the review. I love this song. Everytime I listen to this, it makes me dance. I just get the good vibe and I dance in my bedroom by holding wine glass on Friday night. It’s about telling his love interest to be with him. He is proposing that nothing would matter if they are together. He is begging her to give him one night and she will see new version of him. He said he understood she had doubt about him because of his previous acts. Oh boy! I love it. I love MTV too because he spent 6000 USD to create that one and claimed it was the biggest amount he spent on producing single. What a humble guy!

It was funny cos I accidently listened to this song in June and I thought it was catchy and easy to listen it. But recently, I got so obsessed with it again. I searched for his live performance and I decided to go to his concert if I have chance in future. Well, if I don’t have any chance, I will create it. He is very genius and can play guitar so amazingly. He is every talented and I am obsessed with his skills.

“I’m the boy in your other phone
Lighting up inside your drawer at home all alone
Pushing 40 in the friend zone
We talk and then you walk away every day

Oh you don’t think twice bout me
And maybe you’re right to doubt me but
But if you give me just one night
You’re gonna see me in a new light
Yeah if you give me just one night
To meet you underneath the moonlight”

4. Why You No Love Me

Well we all have that someone who said they would never leave but ran away anyway. Chances are like they don’t love us enough.

“Hurt me once, I let it be
Hurt me twice, you’re dead to me
Three times makes you family
Why can’t you see I’m yours?”

5. Wild Blue

He looked like young Johny Depp in the MTV. This song made me drunk and relief. This song is about getting over someone. He found himself when he let someone he loved go. He finally accepted that missing her belongs to him and he found beauty in letting someone go. What a beautiful song!

“Wild blue, deeper than I ever knew
It’s a wild blue since you went away
Oh baby, what a wild blue
I found myself when I lost you

And you’ll never know
The unlikely beauty in letting you go
(So go on)”

6. Shot in the Dark

Listening to the song from era of I was not even born yet is legit. That kind of classical rock music arrangement in this songs make me feel like living in 1980s. He dropped the MTV on the same day he released the album. MTV presentation is so detail and it even looked like the soundtrack from 80s movies.

“We had a run of bad romances
They always missed the mark
So close your eyes now and take your chances
It’s just another shot in the dark
It’s just another shot in the dark”

7. I guess I just Feel Like

Though the single was released two years ago, it’s funny cos the lyrics just reflects the current pandemic situation. Well at least, the following lyrics hit my heart.

“I guess I just feel like
The joke’s getting old
The future is fading
And the past is on hold”

8. Till the Right One Comes

This is my anthem since I am single and can sing this song to my friends whenever they tell me I should find someone to settle down with. I am sure I will be listening to this song when I drive on highway roads. Mayer is genius and he writes every song he sings and only few musicians could do that. I miss the road trip by listening to this. I will love that kind of feeling when the memories bring back while I am listening to it in the car with the windows down, feeling the soft breeze on my face and thinking about my next. Doesn’t sound wonderful? Well yeah. Thanks Mr.Mayer for creating that kind of moment.

“Now I’m lying in my bed
End of a long day
Headed the wrong way down that highway of dreams
When you’re a little unsure of what you’re headed for
The end of the road ain’t as close as it seems

Some people ‘round here been calling me crazy
Must be something he’s been running from
Stick around now and you might find maybe, I
Prove you wrong when the right one comes
Won’t be long ’til the right one comes”

9.Carry Me Away

It’s been so long taking a break from dating business and I feel like I want to get back on after listening to this song. Just kidding. What I am trying to say is whoever miss to do some trouble with someone they love, this is the song that they should listen.

“I’m such a bore, I’m such a bummer
There must be more behind the summer
I want someone to make some trouble
Been way too safe inside my bubble, oh
Take me out and keep me up all night
Let me live on the wilder side of the light

Carry me away”

10. All I want is to be with you

We all have tough breakup and I had couple of times in the past. Breaking up with someone that I truly cherished was so painful and there were moments that I thought I couldn’t go on. But all I did was pretended and carried on like nothing hurt me. This song just reminds me of those moments.

“I can fake it and pretend
I don’t wanna see your face again
And I can find me someone new
But all I want is to be with you”

Well, I am sure I will be listening to this whole album on my next road trip after pandemic and I cannot really wait to create the new memories of my life. I do thank to my ex who actually introduced me to John Mayer, one of the greatest musicians of all time and I can’t wait to attend his concert too. Listening to this album make me get through the current dark time and bring back the light and hope for future. His songs bring me to the places I haven’t been yet. Since this album, I become the biggest John Mayer’s fan and search every single song he released and I keep falling for that.

I am hoping he would be nominated for Grammy and winning for every nomination.

To PT, hope you are in heaven and you will be always thankful for sharing Love On the Weekend by John Mayer to me. I do love to see you again to talk about our favorite songs in heaven.

*****************************************************************

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evermore Album Review

ကျွန်မ မချစ်တတ်ခဲ့သော ယောက်ျား

ေထြးငယ္