Man of The Woods Album Review



 Before I write the album review, I have to admit that I am the biggest fan of JT and my whole life has been growing up with his music. But don’t worry. I just promise myself that I would write the authentic review of his album. Justin released his fifth studio album on 2nd February if we count 20/20 experience second album in the list.  As usual, his fifth album was highly anticipated album of 2018. He released his first single “Filthy” on 5th January and when I first listened to that song, I was moving my ass at gym and couldn’t stop dancing and singing on my own. I was singing like “Haters gonna say it’s fake” almost every time. He announced that he would perform at 52th Superbowl halftime show in November and I am sure we all got hint that he would release his new album since that period. 


As usual, he didn’t do too many teasers like other artists did nowadays, he just dropped his lead single “Filthy” along with his fourth coming album released date. Since then, I was looking forward to his album and his Superbowl performance. Many critics said “Man Of The Wood” failed to deliver the songs like “Mirrors, Cry Me A River, Can’t Stop The Feeling”, but what I see is different from their reviews. It fails to deliver such kind of songs if you were expecting the deep love song, intense break up and shake ass dance songs. But this album is about his personal life and dedicated to his wife and son. So, it is all about his life, how he was getting through and how he lives in his world. According to his album name and promo video, most people thought this was country album, but when it actually came out, we all found that it was mixed. Well, as the album is about his personal life, this is my personal review which I can relate with. I chose to write 12 songs out of 16 tacks from his latest album.

Filthy

This is the first lead single of his album and it mis with the funky techno pop. It is not “Sexy Back” but it is safe to say that this is one of the sexiest songs from the whole album. The meaning of the song is about hanging out with friends and dance to the beat of the songs. It is undeniable good to dance with. It is catchy as most of his songs. My favorite pick for this song is 

“Haters gonna say is fake so real”
“So put your filthy hands all over me
You know this ain't the clean version
Go on and put your filthy hands all over me
No, this ain't the clean version”


Midnight Summer Jam

This is the song that you want to dance in the bar or club especially during summer. It is like 70s music with the combination of modern music. The music flow is similar to “Damn Girl” in his FutureSex/LoveSounds album. I can even picture people dancing at the beach with this song in summer. Of cos, this is the song that I want to listen in coming summer and I will dance along with my friends at one of the beach bars.  It is purely a summer song. I can even sense the smell of Cocktails and Martini and the salty air around my hair.
My favorite pick is

“It's just a midnight summer's jam
The air's so thin, but we don't give a damn
The starry sky across the land
Where we pretend it's our last chance to dance”


Man of The Woods
This is the album title song and his third single from this album. In the video, his wife Jessica starred as his love interest. The director is Paul Hunter who he used to work with him for his hit song “My Love” video. This is about his wife and described how their relationship is built on solid concrete. The meaning of the song is “Nobody might not understand what he has with his love, it is them who have to understand what they have.” I love the meaning of the song and his slow dance in the video too. Though it is not my most favorite song in the album, I can sing along with it cos the lyrics is so catchy.

“I brag about you to anyone outside
But I'm a man of the woods, it's my pride
I'm sorry baby, you know I try
But I'm a man of the woods, it's my pride”


Higher Higher
Well, I guess he is getting higher with someone that he loves. I don’t want to do anything but sipping cocktail to take me higher while listening to this song. This is such a song that you might want to listen in your room after getting back from work by lighting up the candle maybe and sipping the wine. At least that’s what I feel. I just want to forget all of those stress that I get from work and give myself a break to take relax and bring myself to get higher for a while. For me, I want to represent “You” as the wine. I hope you all get my point.

“Stress is cruel, fame's a lie
But you're special, on every level
Success is cool, money is fine
But you're special, another level”


Wave
If you want to go to the beach, make sure you listen to this song. I got a chance to listen to this song when I was about to get on the plan from Ngapali to Yangon and I kinda regretted for not listening to this song at the beach. I can’t think of anything but playing around with my friends at the shores.

“Let's go to an island
Like we did last year, catch a vibe
The dreamiest weather
Gon' do a spa day and bonfires”


Supplies
His second single and the presentation of video is quiet meaningful. This is like R&B mixed music which I cannot stop enjoying. Maybe the combination of R&B and folk style music and modern love song. I set up this one as my ring tone cos I like the beat.

'Cause I'll be the light when you can't see
I'll be the wood when you need heat
I'll be the generator, turn me on when you need electricity
Some shit's 'bout to go down, I'll be the one with the level head
The world could end now, baby, we'll be living in The Walking Dead


Morning Light
This sounds like 1960s love song and I can even see black and white pictures are running in my eyes. If you are a fan of classic love song, this is your taste. May be you wanna have slow dance and imagine yourself with your soul mate laying in the bed and telling yourself that you are the luckiest person on this earth to fall in love with such kind of amazing person. If you don’t have such kind of soul mate, you can picture of yourself with someone you desire. This one is what I want to listen every morning when I drink coffee. The feeling that I have when I listen to this song is similar to “Until The End of Time” back in 2006. I remember I used to listen to this song when I was trying to write love story.

Cause I'm in love with you
Laying here in the morning light
And all I want to do is hold you tight just one more night
Yes I'm in love with you
Laying here in the morning light
And all I want to do is hold you tight, just one more night


Say Something
This is his 19th Top Ten songs on the chart. This one stands at number 9th on Billboard top 100 chart this week. This music video was taken one cut and it is purely live record and collaborated with country legend Chris Stapleton. What makes me surprise is Timberland co-wrote this song with Justin and another two persons. I just know Timberland as the hip hop musician and to write this kind of purely pop with country influence song is beyond my expectation.

“Everyone knows all about my direction
And in my heart somewhere I wanna go there
Still I don't go there”


Flannel
One of my most favorite tracks in this album. I like the flow of the music and the way he represents his as heart as right behind my left pocket this is where you’ll feel my soul. Man, this is beautiful. In fact, it is easy to sing as well. Well, when I listen to this song, what I see is cottage in country side, reading books at the balcony and watching the person I love busy in the garden. After that, we would walk along in the pine tree forest and talk about life.  I couldn’t think of anything but laying my head down on the chest of my partner and listen to his heartbeats. Sweet! This is purely winter love song. When it’s winter, you’re gonna feel cold. But you will be kept warm if you are with the one you love. Beautiful. Right? Now I know why he is wearing Flannel during these days.


"Right behind my left pocket
That is where you'll feel my soul
It's been with me many winters
It will keep you warm
Ooh, here's my flannel
The character's in the way you wear it (the way you wear it)
It takes your shape while you keep it on (all you gotta do is keep it on)
May we live for many winters
Keepin' each other warm
And may we live for many winters
Keepin' each other warm"


Living off the Land
This is Justin’s advice how to live on this earth by staying true to ourselves. We are working so hard to make money just to pay our bills. But sometimes we lose our soul by making a life that we desire. That is why he advice to do all the best and any loser can be a winner with a plan. This is the song that I want to listen when I want to take a break from busy life.



'll be down, sometimes it's hard to back up the bills on the credit card
She keeps on running to leave
If you don't get on your knees and repay the money you spend
But like her trust, you cannot get lit
Sunday, you go to church
Back on your knees and you're tryna' soul search
I'm just a man doing the best that I can
Saint or a sinner, the loser can be a winner with a plan
When you're living off the land


Hard Stuff
This is about the relationship. In every relationship, there is always ups and downs, happiness and sadness. So, what he wants is not only the good thing, but also the hard and bad thing from his partner and he wants to fix all those things by not giving up on the person that he loves. The meaning is so touching and I love it.


"So give me the hard stuff
The kind that makes you real
I wanna be there when the storm comes
'Cause I want the hard stuff (hard stuff)
When they're throwin' sticks and stones
We can cut each other to the bone
I'm never gonna give you up
'Cause I want the hard stuff (hard stuff)"



Young Man
If Man of the Wood is dedicated to his wife, this song dedicated to his son, Silas. He advised his son how to live a life and to listen before taking any journey. He said he and his wife couldn’t get enough of his son and how they both love their son. This song begins with his son called him “Dada” and ends with “I love you daddy”. His whole family literally appeared in this song and the whole song inspires all of us to build the beautiful family. Even I don’t have any wish to have kid, I just think about kids for a while and think about myself like how it would be great when I actually talk to my daughter to chase her dreams and live the fullest and go beyond the boundary. Maybe this is a lullaby for the kids before they sleep.


Beautiful boy, got it from your momma
Damn, she look good, you might get a sister
By the time you get the picture
If you want a woman this good, gotta clear your system
And it's all right
If you need to cry, you've got my permission
You can do anything in the world if you listen


Like a young man
Sit down, let me tell you how it's s'posed to be
How they told me
I said, young man, if you wanna make God smile
Make plans, you've got to be ready
You don't understand, right now you're a young man
But you gon' have to stand for something

We don't ever back down, don't back down
We don't have to act out, don't act out
And even when you fall, don't stay down
If you need me around, you know I stay down
And anywhere you go, you can go your own way
If you ask me how I know these things, remember I once was a


Young man
Sit down, let me tell you how it's s'posed to be
How they told me
I said, young man, if you wanna make God smile
Make plans, you've got to be ready
You don't understand, right now you're a young man
But you gon' have to stand for something

Someday somebody's gonna break your heart in two
And I'll be there
Someday you're gonna break somebody's heart
That's what we do
One day I'll be gone, son, but right now I'm home
No, you'll never be alone
Maybe someday you'll be talking to your own
Young man, yeah
You know your daddy's so proud of you
My little young man
Mama just can't get enough of you
My little young man, yeah
You know your daddy's so proud of you
My little young man, yeah



My favorite album of JT is FutureSex/LoveSounds and I couldn’t stop listening his whole album when I was 17 at college. I listened to the album almost every day during that time every morning when I worked out. Man of the woods is my second favorite album of JT. I know it is hard to explain how his songs actually inspire my real life events. He is one of the rare musicians who never stop taking challenges in music industry. His music is mix genre and we cannot say his music is Pop, R&B, Country, funky, folk, jazz or hip hop. He is purely a musician and multi-talented artist.
We can see how he becomes mature and becomes a dedicated family man in his latest album. I love it. I can't get enough of listening to those songs now. My 2018 jams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evermore Album Review

ကျွန်မ မချစ်တတ်ခဲ့သော ယောက်ျား

ေထြးငယ္